Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hollywood Turban




My daughter asked me to make her an old Hollywood-style turban like this one from Amazon, but I couldn't find a pattern, so I decided to make my own.


Ladies Winter Warm Sparkle Floral Turban Soft Knit Beanie Skull Hat Cap


Materials
Gauge
4 sts per inch, 3 inches equals 7 rows

Abbreviations
Ch(s)--chain(s)              Hdc(s)--half double crochet(s)         BL--back loop
Hdc2tog-half double crochet 2 stitches together


For this pattern I used half double crochets, but I crocheted them in a different loop than normal to make the stitch look more like knitting.  Some people call this the Camel Stitch.  The link is to a video tutorial on how to do the stitch.  This may help you understand the instructions better.  Mikey is doing the stitch in the round so he doesn't turn the rows, but the same loop that he shows you in the back of the stitch also exists in the front of the stitch.  Since I'm doing the stitch in black it will be hard to distinguish in the pictures, but this is how the stitch should look. This is the right side. The wrong side looks flat.

Right Side Up

Surface Braid Hat by Amy Depew

Turban Piece, done in the flat
Ch 122.
Row 1:  Hdc in the BL of the 3rd ch from the hook and in each BL of each ch to the end of the ch.  It should measure about 34 1/2", (120 hdcs)



Row 2: Ch 2, turn, Hdc in 3rd loop on the back of the 1st st and in each 3rd loop to the end of the row. (120 hdcs)






Row 3:  Ch2 turn. Hdc in 3rd loop on the front of the first st and in each 3rd loop to the end of the row. (120 hdcs)










Row 4: repeat Row 2.
Row 5: repeat Row 3.
Row 6: repeat Row 2.
Row 7: repeat Row 3.
Row 8: repeat Row 2.
Row 9: repeat Row 3.

Row 10:  Ch 2, turn, hdc in 3rd loop on the back of the 1st st and in the next 31 sts. (32 hdcs)
Row 11:  Ch2 turn. hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the first 2 sts, hdc in the 3rd loop on the front of the next 28 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the next 2 sts. (30 hdcs)
Row 12:  Ch2 turn. hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the back of the first 2 sts, hdc in the 3rd loop on the back of the next 26 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the back of the next 2 sts. (28 hdcs)
Row 13:  Ch2 turn. hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the first 2 sts, hdc in the 3rd loop on the front of the next 24 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the next 2 sts. (26 hdcs)
Row 14:  Ch2 turn. hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the back of the first 2 sts, hdc in the 3rd loop on the back of the next 22 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the back of the next 2 sts. (24 hdcs)
Row 15:  Ch2 turn. hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the first 2 sts, hdc in the 3rd loop on the front of the next 20 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd loop on the front of the next 2 sts. Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing. (22 hdcs)




Row 16: Attach yarn in the 5th ch on the opposite side of the piece (right side up.) Ch 2, hdc in the back post of the same ch.  Hdc in the back post of the next 29 chs. (30 hdcs)





Row 17:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd front loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in front 3rd loop of next 26 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd front loop of next 2 sts. (28 hdcs)
Row 18:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd front loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in back 3rd loop of next 24 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd back loop of next 2 sts. (26 hdcs)
Row 19:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd back loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in front 3rd loop of next 22 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd back loop of next 2 sts. (24 hdcs)
Row 20:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd front loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in back 3rd loop of next 20 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd back loop of next 2 sts. (22 hdcs)
Row 21:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd back loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in front 3rd loop of next 18 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd back loop of next 2 sts. (20 hdcs)
Row 22:  Ch 2, turn, hdc2tog in the 3rd front loop of the 1st 2 sts, hdc in back 3rd loop of next 16 sts, hdc2tog in 3rd back loop of next 2 sts. Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing. (18 hdcs)


Assembly




Pin the bottom edge of the turban piece to the back of the Styrofoam head at the base of the neck. Make sure the piece is turned right side up. (see picture of blued stitching at top.)

Put another pin in the top back of the head to hold it in place.

Wrap the tail around the right side of the head


and pin it to run along the base of the piece.

Pull the tail around to the left side of the head and then bring it around to the front of the head. 

Then tuck it under at the front of the head.

Pull it in tightly.

There will be 2 gaps on either side of the head, you will need to sew these together.  


Start sewing the gap together on the right side of the head, pinch it together as you go, pushing the smaller piece under the tail that you wrapped around the head.



Continue sewing down the tail all the way around the head.



It will look something like this.

Sparkle Floral Turban




Once you have finished sewing down the tail, weave in the ends, then remove the turban from the head and turn it inside out and sew down any loose ends.

Then sew on the applique with the needle and thread.







Happy Hooking!


YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Turbanesque Headband

Fascinator Hat

Heart Headband

Fisherman Hooded Scarf












13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, it looks amazing ! I'm so glad you shared it online, the only turban-like patterns I found so far were just headbands, and you explained exactly what I was looking for !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My sister also requested a hollywood style turban. I'm making it as a Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam I am making this for a friend's friend gping through chemotherapy. Can i pls have the dimensions yours measure? As I am making it with chunky yarn. Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam I am making this for a friend's friend gping through chemotherapy. Can i pls have the dimensions yours measure? As I am making it with chunky yarn. Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I no longer have the turban, and I didn't measure it, but the gauge listed at the top of the pattern should help.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pam thanks again. I have measured my gauge and it is 3 sts per inch, and 1 inch equals 6 rows. Where do I go now do you think? Xx

      Delete
    3. I just looked at the first row and it says that the widest width should be 341/2 inches. I'm not sure what the shorter widths are, but maybe you can do it proportionally by looking at the photos.

      Delete
  5. You are so incredibly talented. I love to create. I just don't understand how to prepare a project for crochet, knitting, etc. I just got a sewing machine I just got from the Salvation Army store. I am trying to teach myself that. I know how to crochet good and I taught myself to knit. I can follow a pattern but I am clueless on how to create a written pattern. I thank you for this Turban hat pattern. I wanted a pattern that I could create to wear a hat to church during the winter months. You nailed it for me. Wonderful! :-) I find myself having to sit a lot with my feet up and propped up on pillows due to chronic pain caused by Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, depression and sciatica. I love to utilize my time with doing something constructive to take my mind off of my conditions. Thank you for your wonderful patterns. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veryexcellent tute. This is a classic turban - I love the applique. You wear it so well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que preciosidad.menudas manos tan maravillosas....gracias por compartir.

    ReplyDelete