Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quick Ripple Cowl




A while back Chelsea asked me to come up with a cowl pattern for this stitch pattern.  I had some really pretty bulky yarn with sequins that I have been wanting to try out.  I was able to make this cowl in a few hours.  Enjoy!


Materials:


  • Loops and Threads Dewdrops Bulky Yarn--Turquoise and Rust
  • Loops and Threads Charisma Bulky Yarn--Dark Blue
  • L hook
  • Smaller hook for weaving in
Gauge:
1 pattern run = 4"; the pattern runs over 11 sts

Special Stitches:
V stitch--V:  Double crochet (dc), chain (ch) 1, dc all in same stitch (st)

Abbreviations:
ch(s)--chain(s)  dc(s)--double crochet(s)  dc3tog--double crochet 2 together
dc2tog--double crochet 2 together  sk--skip


Pattern:
I used 3 colors of yarn, but if you only use one color it should only take about 1 skein.

With Dark Blue yarn Ch 90. (I like to put a stitch marker in every 10 to 20 chs to keep track of my count)

Row 1:  Dc in 3rd, *ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, V in next ch, ch 3, V in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, dc3tog*  7 times, ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch,  V in next ch, ch 3, V in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch  dc2tog, fasten off, leaving a tail long enough to weave in several times. Turn.

I'm using the lighter yarn in the pictures so it's easier to see the stitches.



Row 2:  Attach Turquoise yarn, ch 3, dc in next dc, *ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, (V, ch 3, V) in ch-3 sp, ch 1, dc in second dc, ch 1, dc3tog in next 3 dcs (see chart)* 7 times, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, (V, ch 3, V) in ch-3 sp, ch 1, dc in second dc, ch 1, dc2tog in next to dcs. Fasten off, leaving a tail long enough to weave in several times. Turn.




Row 3: Repeat Row 2  with Rust yarn
Row 4: Repeat Row 2 with Dark Blue yarn
Row 5: Repeat Row 2 with Rust yarn
Row 6: Repeat Row 2 with Turquoise yarn
Row 7: Reapeat Row 2 with Dark Blue yarn

Finishing

Using a smaller hook (I used a G hook) join the short ends of the cowl together by weaving in the ends.



Here's how the front of the seam looks when it's finished.



It's pretty much invisible.





YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Falling Leave Cowl
Peacock Scarf
One Skein Scarf

Moogly

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful tutorial, as always! I don't quite understand the seam instructions, but I bet when I try it, it'll make more sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, but let me know if you need more help.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Pam!!! I'm super excited to make this and will be sure and share pictures as soon as I'm finished. I love the way it turned out :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. You can send pictures of the cowl to me at crochetparfaitpg@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. Nice invisible join! I've also been working on invisible joins ... sometimes it actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cowl! I love the ripples!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-27_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cowl is beautiful, the colors are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I've been wanting to try this ripple or wave stitch. Your infinity scarf would be the perfect way to practice. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent tutorial, Pam! This makes it really easy to follow. I love the finished product! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete